The Old Stone WallE-Newsletter of the NH Division of Historical ResourcesVol 4, Issue 1IN THIS ISSUECertified Local Government success storyEight properties added to State RegisterNational Register: 2011 round-upNH Division ofHistorical ResourcesSummer 2012 archaeology programsReminder: April is N.H. Archaeology MonthElizabeth H. MuzzeyDirector and State HistoricPreservation OfficerLaura S. BlackSpecial Projects andCompliance SpecialistRichard A. BoisvertState Archaeologist andDeputy State HistoricPreservation OfficerEdna M. FeighnerHistorical Archaeologist andReview & ComplianceCoordinatorDeborah J. GagneGrants CoordinatorTanya E. KrajcikHistorical Archaeologist,Cultural Resources RecordsCoordinator &Project ArchaeologyElaine P. LoftProgram AssistantPeter MichaudNational Register,Preservation Tax Incentives &Covenants CoordinatorMooseplate Grant DeadlineLinda Wilson named Honorary Member, AIA-NHAll Books Great and SmallLearn more about preservation programsCertified Local Government success story:documenting Wakefield's heritageWakefield, N.H.'s mill history comes alive in Survey ofWater-Powered Mill Sites and Dams, a new publicationsponsored by the Wakefield Heritage Commission andfunded through the Certified Local Government Program.This important program, which was created by the 1980amendments to the National Historic Preservation Act, isdesigned to provide an opportunity for local governmentsto become more directly involved in identifying,evaluating, protecting, promoting and enhancing theeducational and economic value of local properties ofhistoric, architectural and archeological significance. TheDivision of Historical Resources administers NewHampshire's program, in partnership with the NationalPark Service.Nadine Miller PetersonPreservation PlannerMary Kate RyanState Survey Coordinator,N.H. State RegisterChristina St. LouisProgram Specialist for Review& ComplianceState HistoricalResources CouncilJeff Woodburn, Dalton, ChairCarolyn Baldwin, GilmantonMolly Bolster, PortsmouthMary Rose Boswell, LaconiaNancy C. Dutton, WilmotDuffy Monahon,PeterboroughCarl W. Schmidt, OrfordDavid R. Starbuck,Plymouth, Vice ChairEx OfficioGovernor John LynchPhoto courtesy Victoria Bunker, Inc.As part of the Wakefield project, archaeologists SheilaCharles, Victoria Bunker and Dennis Howe of thearchaeological firm Victoria Bunker, Inc. conductedhistorical research and field surveys in order to identify,locate and document mill sites and their industrial
Elizabeth H. MuzzeySecretaryElaine P. LoftDepartment of CulturalResourcesVan McLeod,CommissionerShelly Angers,Public Information Officerfeatures. Archival research and oral histories were alsopart of the research process.The goals of the survey project were to help facilitatepreservation planning, increase public awareness ofhistorical resources and promote stewardship of the sites;it has already had an impact on the community. Here aresome of the projects the survey has prompted since itspublication in August 2011:The DHR is a state serviceagency, supported bythe State of New Hampshire,by the federal HistoricPreservation Fund (through amatching grant administeredby the National Park Serviceof the US Department of theInterior), and by donatedfunds and services. Inaddition to its state functions,the DHR is also responsiblefor administering the federalpreservation program in NewHampshire. The Wakefield Heritage Commission is creating aHeritage Centre, similar to a welcome center, in afreight house that is being restored. Much of thematerial for the display is drawn from the survey.The Wakefield Heritage Commission anticipatesthe exhibit will open in August 2012.One of the newly mapped mill sites has added anadditional layer of importance to a land parcel theWakefield Conservation Commission is attemptingto secure as part of a conservation easement.The Newichawonnick Canal (which spans the NewHampshire/Maine border) and the ashlar bridgespanning the canal are deteriorating and havelong been areas of concern for citizens. A steeringcommittee with representatives from both Acton,Maine and Wakefield, N.H., has been formed tofind preservation alternatives.A private non-profit community group hasacquired one of the sites, known as the Drew Mill.Using research information found in the survey ithopes to restore the water-powered mill andestablish a museum.The survey has informed the Historical ResourcesChapter of the Master Plan, which is currentlybeing prepared by the Wakefield HeritageCommission.For more information about the Certified GovernmentProgram, contact Nadine Peterson at the Division ofHistorical Resources: [email protected] Valentine for you.
Eight properties added to State RegisterThe New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources ispleased to announce that the State HistoricalResources Council has added eight individualproperties to the New Hampshire State Register ofHistoric Places. The most recent additions to the NewHampshire State Register of Historic Places are:The High Street Cemetery in Benton is the lastremaining resource that conveys the history of thetown's early High Street area settlement, which was bypassed by most industry andtransportation. Stories of the pioneers who settled this remote, rugged area are toldby the cemetery's 46 grave markers, the oldest of which dates to 1812 and thenewest to 1877.Gunstock Mountain Resort in Gilford began in 1935 as the Belknap MountainsRecreation Area; it was the largest Works Progress Administration project in NewHampshire as well as one of the state's first year-round recreation areas. It featuredboth ski jumps and a motorcycle rally area, and its construction easedunemployment and created a tourism destination that is still popular today.Mary Lyon Hall, at the center of the Plymouth State University campus, was builtas a dormitory in 1915 by noted New Hampshire architect Chase Roy Whitcher,when the institution was still known as Plymouth Normal School. Recently updated,it still serves as both a dormitory and an important connection between the moderncampus and its historic beginnings.The W.F. Palmer Place in Sandwich, a farm house and barn property that shows theshift from Greek Revival to Gothic Revival architecture, is significant primarily as afarm that also served as a retail outlet. W.F. Palmer ran a feed and grain store thatlater expanded to a general store, serving the crossroads village of Cram's Corner inthe first half of the 20th century.Seabrook's Methodist (or "Smithtown") Cemetery was in use by 1826 andpurchased by the town in 1827. It chronicles the lives of the citizens who createdSeabrook, developed it, and were laid to rest there, and includes founders, soldiers,statesmen, craftspeople and members of prominent families.Three individual properties within the State Register-recognized Enfield VillageHistoric District have also been added to the State Register: the Francis H. WellsHouse, the Stickney House and a duplex on Route 4. The Enfield Village HistoricDistrict is an excellent example of a Connecticut River Valley village center. Itsbuildings date from 1800 through the 1970s and include municipal, commercial,religious and residential structures.For more information about nominating a property to the New Hampshire StateRegister of Historic Places, visit www.nh.gov/nhdhr.National Register of Historic Places: 2011 round-upThroughout the last year, the U.S. Secretary of the Interior honored a number ofNew Hampshire properties with listing to the National Register of Historic Places.Administered by the National Park Service and the Division of Historical Resources,
the National Register is the country's official list of cultural resources worthy ofpreservation. It is part of the National Park Service's overall program to coordinateand support efforts to identify and protect our historic and archaeological resources.In New Hampshire, close to 5000 resources are listed on the National Register.Once two distinctly different cemeteries, BlossomHill/Calvary Cemetery represents both the rich andfamous of Concord's history as well as the city'simmigrant working class. Blossom Hill is an excellentexample of a 19th century park-like cemetery withmature trees, undulating landscapes, andgravestones and mausoleums that represent the finalresting place for former senators, governors andConcord's upper-middle class. Calvary Cemetery wasConcord's Catholic cemetery, the final resting placefor the Irish, French and Italian immigrants who cameto Concord to work in its factories; it includes fine examples of funerary artconnected to the families of some of Concord's premier granite stone carvers.Since its construction in 1910, the Shedd-Porter Memorial Library has been animpressive focal point in the "paper village" downtown district of Alstead. Designedby the McLean & Wright architectural firm in Boston, Mass., the neoclassical libraryis considered to be one of the most impressive library buildings in New Hampshire.Following a floor plan typical of other small library buildings of its time, the SheddPorter Library is constructed of choice materials and marked by unusuallysophisticated detailing and fine workmanship.The Salem Common Historic District is a well-preserved example of a traditionalrural New Hampshire townscape, historically functioning as a local center of civic,religious, educational and community life for more than two hundred years. Theearliest historical associations can be traced to the construction of the originalmeetinghouse in 1738; it subsequently saw major renovations in 1838 and 1899 andcontinued to serve as the site for annual town meetings until 1958. Along with themeetinghouse, the town library, hose house, cemetery, and common withmemorials are listed as part of this district. This is the first National Register listingfor the town of Salem.Built in 1896, the Pelham Library building was constructed as a memorial to thetown's veterans. The colonial revival building is a notable design by architectFrederick W. Stickney of the firm Stickney & Austin in Lowell, Mass. Originally builtas a library and meeting space for the town officers, the library is now home to thePelham Historical Society. This is also the first National Register listing for the townof Pelham.Built in 1939 as offices for the U.S. Forest Service to manage the White MountainNational Forest, the Federal Building in Laconia is an excellent example of asimplified classical architectural style under the Public Works Administration(PWA). Completed under the supervision of architect Louis A. Simon, the FederalBuilding served as offices for the U.S. Forest Service from 1940 until the early 21stcentury. The building is currently being sensitively rehabilitated by the non-profitLakes Region Community Services (www.lrcs.org) as its future headquarters andoffices.Built in brick c.1825, the Buckminster-Kingsbury Farm in Roxbury is an excellentvernacular expression of the Federal and Greek Revival styles that evolved in NewHampshire and southern Maine. As an active and prosperous farm for most of itshistory, the property once sported 150 acres, a large apple orchard, a "Sugar Place,"
three barns with a piggery, carriage house, shop and cart shed. This is the firstNational Register listing for the town of Roxbury.Summer 2012 archaeology programs: Moultonborough andJeffersonIn the summer of 2012 there will be twoopportunities to participate in SCRAP (StateConservation and Rescue ArchaeologyProgram) field schools. From June 4 throughJune 15, Division of Historical Resourcesarchaeologist Tanya Krajcik will lead a twoweek program on historical archaeology at thesite of the Roxmont Estate on Long Island inMoultonborough (courtesy photo).The first week of the Moultonborough program will be devoted to seminars onarchaeology, landscape history and design, and historical research anddocumentation. During the second week students will gain field experience byparticipating in survey, mapping and excavation on the site. For more information,contact Tanya Krajcik at [email protected] June 25 through August 3, during three two-week sessions, StateArchaeologist Dr. Richard A. Boisvert will oversee further investigations at theJefferson IV Paleoindian Site. In Jefferson, participants in the field school willdocument the site with extensive excavations and place it in context with otherPaleoindian sites in the immediate vicinity and the broader region. Hands-oninstruction in the field will be supplemented by background readings, eveninglectures by various affiliated scholars and field trips to nearby Paleoindian sites. Visitthe SCRAP website at www.nh.gov/nhdhr/SCRAP.htm.Participants in either program may obtain academic credit through Plymouth StateUniversity. Contact Tamara Cocchiarella at [email protected] or theCollege of Graduate Studies at [email protected] may also participate as SCRAP volunteers. Volunteers will receive thesame instruction as credit students. Successful completion of the fieldwork will earnSCRAP certification for Excavation Technician.Reminder: April is New Hampshire Archaeology MonthNew Hampshire Archaeology Month has migrated to April! Youcan kick off the celebration by attending the New HampshireArcheological Society spring meeting on Saturday, March 31, inMerrimack. Other planned events include the Conference on NewEngland Archaeology (Saturday, April 14, at Strawbery Banke inPortsmouth) and a Project Archaeology Teacher Workshop on April 20 at SaintGaudens National Historic Site in Cornish.Check the web site of the New Hampshire Archeological Society at www.nhas.orgfor details about these and other archaeological activities.
Mooseplate Grants 2012The 2012 Conservation License Plate / Moose Plate grantround is open until Friday, April 27, 2012 at 4:00 p.m.The New Hampshire Division of Historical ResourcesConservation License Plate Grant Program awardsgrants through this prog